Pages

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

A Tree Full of Memories

I saved the best Christmas decor post for last....our family Christmas tree. This tree is covered with memories. I don't put anything on this tree other than lights and ornaments. It doesn't need anything else stealing the limelight from the ornaments that adorn it. There are hundreds of ornaments on the tree, and I can't share them all, but I would like to share some of my favorites.


The sweet ornaments handmade by my children in elementary school are among my favorites. This one made by my son, Dakota brings me much JOY! I love the sweet simplicity of it.


I always buy an ornament or two on vacations. This one is from a trip to NYC with my daughter and her Girl Scout troop when she was a young teen. Such a fun trip!


This ornament is not an ornament, but it adorns my tree every year. It is a baby toy that belonged to my daughter, Miranda and then to my son, Dakota. Since they both loved and played with this sweet little squeaky toy, I had to keep it. I nestle it among the branches each year. 


My most recent addition is this adorable "Best Teacher Ever" ornament that was a gift from a student this year. I love that it is the same vintage desk chair that I have in my craft room. So neat! His mom also made me something which I will share soon.


This ornament holds mixed emotions for us. It holds a picture of my father in law, who passed away just over three years ago.


I bought this sweet ballerina bear when Miranda was little. I fell in love with her and had to have her. Miranda loved ballerinas when she was a little girl. 


At the same time, I bought this angel bear for Dakota. He was very small when I bought these...maybe 2 or 3 years old.


This sweet little paper and glitter star was made by Miranda in preschool. She's 25 years old now!



Joey's maternal grandma crocheted and starched this bell for us over 20 years ago. She has been gone for many years, so this ornament is precious to us.


This one was bought on a trip to DC with Dakota when he was in 5th grade. The Safety Patrol goes every year. I went with Miranda as well a few years before his trip.


This sweet little teacup was part of a Christmas tea set that belonged to Miranda when she was little. I kept this piece. Oh how I wish I had kept the whole set!


My sweet Miranda in another homemade ornament from school.


Miranda and I went to see the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular with my best friend and her daughter a few years ago. It was amazing!


My friend Heather made these beautiful ornaments filled with rolled scripture a few years ago and hand delivered them to her friends. I was blessed to be among them...:)


Miranda received tickets to see Phantom of the Opera from my best friend for her high school graduation. Jeana was so generous to purchase me a ticket as well. She and her daughter, Ashley and Miranda and I went to see it. It was so awesome! It is Miranda's favorite Broadway show and she was so excited to receive such an amazing gift!


This sweet little bear ornament was bought my first Christmas as a married lady. We were pretty low on cash back in the day, so we went to what used to be the T, G, and Y and purchased several cheap ornaments to hang on our tree. Over the years I got rid of most of them, but I keep this one to remember that first Christmas together.


The very next year, we bought Miranda's first Christmas ornaments. I had to have this precious little book ornament. So sweet...:) 


Another precious photo ornament from school. This one is made from a jar lid of some sort. I miss my Dakota being so little...:)


My sister bought me this beautiful teapot ornament several years ago. It is one of my favorite china patterns...Old Country Roses by Royal Albert. Some day I am going to purchase a set of it!


This Little Bo Peep is the oldest ornament on my tree. My Aunt Loretta made her and gave her to me when I was a young teenager over 30 years ago. 


One of the hubby's favorites is the light up leg lamp from A Christmas Story. Have you ever seen it? One of the best Christmas movies ever and his all time favorite. 


The lighthouse was purchased on field trip to Saint Augustine when Dakota was in 4th grade. I climbed to the top and thought I would die before I got there! LOL


Dakota loved Nutcrackers when he was little and this glass one is a favorite.


My friends and I used to take a yearly girl's trip. We did this for about 5 years. I bought an ornament on each trip. This one was bought the year we went to Cedar Key. It was made by a local artisan. 


My mother in law had this beautiful ornament made for Dakota's first Christmas. She had a pink one made for Miranda that year too. They are large ornaments. I am extremely careful with these every year when I pack them away.


I would love to share more, but this post has gotten long enough already. Such sweet memories are relived each year when decorating the tree. I can't imagine Christmas without it. 
I have been enjoying my Christmas break. I finished this book yesterday...that makes 3 Christmas novels this season and I am started number 4 yesterday!


I am loving my new twisted bottle brush tree I bought half price at Cracker Barrel over the weekend.


My sister made zucchini bread and sent me a loaf. So delicious! I am also enjoying my Christmas present...my new laptop! 


I hope each of you have the best Christmas ever, surrounded by those you love, celebrating traditions, reliving memories, celebrating the birth of our Savior. 
Until next time.....

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful tree...love all the ornaments and stories behind them. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This lovely post really puts us in the holiday spirit! You have wonderful memories of Christmas past. Happy holidays, Vicky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your sweet memories, Vicky! I have several that also go on the tree each year. I think they are the best ones - memories of special times. May you too, have a blessed Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful memories! I think that is why the Christmas tree is my favorite decoration each year. I put all the wonderful ornaments I've collected over the years and as I decorate I enjoy the memories they bring back. I'll be flying back home later today so I want to wish you a Very Merry Christmas dear friend.
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just love your memory tree! I have that very same "Baby's First Christmas" book ornament for my daughter!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Vicky!!
    Happy Christmas!!
    XO Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful tree of memories Vicky. Have a wonderful Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww... What an enjoyable post. I just love to see and hear of the memories others hold dear to their heart.
    I especially loved the rolled scriptures,I may have to remember that for a project to do.

    Merry Christmas, dear Vicky.

    Joy! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my friend, your tree is full and overflowing with precious memories! I am honored that you would share them with us. As you know, I LOVE Christmas ornaments and the stories behind them :) Thank you for sharing.

    I hope your Christmas was extra special. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful tree, and beautiful memories! Hope you had a lovely Christmas Vicky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful memories and that you have them all together in one place is just so special -
    We had a flood years ago and I lost all of my special mementos.........breaks my heart every single Christmas !
    For all the trips I've made to Manhattan I've never seen the Rockettes - but it's on my bucket list !
    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas !
    Much love,
    Me

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking time to leave such kind words for me. Your sweet comments make my heart smile!
I always reply to comments by e-mail, so please make sure you are not a no-reply commenter! Blessings!

Recent Posts.....