Sunday, April 28, 2013
A Non-Traditional Wreath!
Happy Sunday! I hope everyone has enjoyed a day of rest. I haven't done much today other than rest. I did make a cute new wreath for the front door since I haven't had anything up since Easter! I'll share that little project later in this post. First, I wanted to share the last few treasures from yesterday's thrifting trip. I found a few napkin rings for $0.10 each. I saw the prettiest idea to use them to cover the floral stems in a vintage bridal bouquet so I picked them up. My daughter is thinking of a vintage themed wedding when she gets married one day. No definite plans yet though! Two of these are silver plated, one is a pretty clear acrylic, and one is porcelain. I also got a set of 12 plain wooden napkin rings for the same price. I plan to save them for a future project, although I don't have plans for them yet.
I got this vintage lace trimmed fabric runner. The lace is so pretty with the yellow edge. It was $1.79.
I also bought these sweet little vintage fabrics. There's not much of them, but they will work for small projects. I already used a small piece of each, which you'll see soon! The yellow gingham has the prettiest lace and rose design on it. It is raised and feels like velvet. These two small pieces were under $1 each.
Then I found these two large ramekins for $0.75 each. I use ramekins a lot, so I couldn't pass these white ones up!
Ok....on to the wreath!
My wreath is a little non-traditional. I have seen a few around and about on blogs and Pinterest made from picture frames. I decided to use an old frame to create one for myself. This project was so cheap to do and I already had everything at home to do it, so technically it cost me nothing since I didn't have to go buy anything special to do it. Here's how it started out....
I wrapped it with jute which I bought at the Dollar General a while back for $1. I didn't use the whole roll. This part was the most tedious and time consuming, but not difficult at all. I just wrapped the sides with one continuous piece. As you can see below, the corners didn't work out.
No worries! I grabbed some wired, burlap ribbon, cut four small pieces and wrapped the corners. I just hot glued them on the back.
You can see the finished corners below. Don't be jealous of my fake butcher block laminate!
LOL....I cannot wait to replace it some day!
Next, I added a letter H for Hunt that I bought recently for $1. I painted it aqua blue...:)
Fast forward a little as I didn't take pictures of this part! I made several yo-yos from fabric scraps and eyelet lace and layered them with a few different buttons. Some of them were from my grandpa's vintage buttons...:) I had one small piece of the burlap ribbon left and made a sort of yo-yo with it as well. I used the two pieces you saw above to make a couple of the yo-yos.
I love the colors, even if they do look like they belong in a little girl's bedroom!
They look springy to me...:) I added a couple to the H as well.
Here are some close-up shots of them.
And here it is on the door...:) It brightens is up a bit!
What do you think? I think it turned out really well. It was fun to make and is making me want to create something else. I haven't been crafting much lately! I'm thinking I will make a bunch of yo-yos for the little wristlets I am going to make and sell. They are so quick and easy to make and are perfect for using up fabric scraps.
I hope you enjoy the remainder of your Sunday...:) I am battling a headache and I need to get up and cook supper for the guys! Dakota has a friend over tonight and they'll be hungry soon!
I'm linking up with Marty for Inspire Me Tuesday
Kathe for You're Gonna Love It
Kadie for Link It Up Thursday
Christine for House Party #1
Diann for Thrifty Things Friday
Gina for Transformation Thursday
Have a blessed week my friends...:)
Until next time!