Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Hope Chest Redo!

Today I am sharing a little impromptu project I just completed. It took me about half an hour to complete and what a difference! I recovered the top of my old hope chest. My parents bought my sister and I these beautiful Lane hope chests for Christmas when I was 17. Mine is solid cherry wood and very well built. I used it to store things for my future home and after I married, I used it to store sentimental items and mementos that I want to keep but not display. It is full to the brim and I need to clean it out some day, but not today! Well, a few years ago the padded top got wet and left some nasty water marks in the fabric. I have been able to camouflage it with the "stuff" I sit on top, but it was time for a change. Here are a couple of before pictures.



And here it is after! I used burlap to cover the top for now. I like the neutrality of it and it works well with the vignette I have on top. 


My sister, Nancy gave me this sweet altered book years ago. It has a sweet little poem about sisters. The frame is a sisters frame as well and there we are! Cuties or what? I'm 2 1/2 years older....that's me in the bonnet!


Next up is my old teddy bear....another treasure given to me by my Aunt Loretta. I don't know how old he is, but he is old! His arms, legs and head are all jointed. Isn't he sweet...:) 
He sits in my cute little miniature red wagon. 


Here you see my grapevine wreath in the background, with a sweet little pillow my daughter, Miranda hand stitched for me when she was in kindergarten...:) A little old timey tricycle sits in from of it along with my old bronzed baby booties and a picture of me when I wore them. It is truly vintage...lol! The booties sit on top of a hand crocheted doily made by my husband Joey's late grandma Lottie. 


Here it is all together....hodge-podge I know, but all of those items are special to me...:)


Here's a close-up of the burlap. What do you think?


I'm linking up with Brenda from Cozy Little House for Tweak-It-Tuesday...:)
Tomorrow I hope to share the ice cream table and chairs I am supposed to go pick up today! 
I am so excited to be acquiring a set....:)
Until next time.....

2 comments:

  1. Oh how lovely. The new top is gorgeous and your vignette is so perfect. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Marty! You are always so sweet and your kind words mean so much to me...:) I appreciate you visiting me and I'm looking forward to your cloche party! Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking time to leave such kind words for me. Your sweet comments make my heart smile!
I always reply to comments by e-mail, so please make sure you are not a no-reply commenter! Blessings!

Recent Posts.....