Wednesday, November 27, 2013
A Home for My Sewing Machine!
Wow! Is it really Wednesday? This break of mine is flying by...but in a good way! The hubby and I have been busy bees working on our spare bedroom and I am close to being finished....but not quite!
In addition to the various projects going on in there, I have been working on a project in my craft room. You may remember the little vanity I shared a couple weeks ago. You can see it in the photo below on the left prior to it's makeover. The right side shows it after it's makeover.
I just love how it turned out. This was the ultimate thrifty project since my mother in law gave me the little vanity to use for a sewing table. I had all the supplies on hand to make it over.
*chalk paint (mixed by me)
*brackets for shelves (firring strip)
*burlap for seat cover
*black paint for hardware
*wrapping paper for drawer liner
*decorative tape for edges of shelves
*creative vision :)
I love the shelves the hubs added for me to display things. I had bought these two shelves a year or more ago and had no idea what to do with them. I was actually about to get rid of them when we had the brainstorm to add shelves to the table. These two could not have been more perfect for the job!
That's my sewing machine under the vintage pillow case. I still need to add ribbons to the sides to tie it on.
The bench got a new outfit in some lovely chevron burlap I purchased a while back.
The inside of the drawer got a little special treatment too...:)
I love this wrapping paper I bought at TJ Maxx a few months ago!
You can see how the hubs attached the shelves here. There were holes already in place. I'm sure there used to be a mirror on it. He used carriage head bolts to attach it all together and it is very sturdy!
I just love it and am thrilled to have a permanent home for my sewing machine!
Now...just a tiny sneak peek at one of the projects I was working on for the new spare room! This old chest of drawers belonged to my Granny Valentine. It was in need of major repair. The veneer was bubbled on both sides and chipped and coming off in some places (see photo below). It was pretty much beyond repair. I couldn't bear to part with it though, so as we were working in the room, I asked Joey...aka, the hubs, to nail some leftover pieces of paneling to the sides of it. As luck would have it, the ends he had to cut off were the perfect width for the sides of the chest. You can see them nailed on below. The sneak peek is the lower right photo. I was planning all along to paint the whole thing white, but then I changed my mind and decided to go with black! I happened to have a brand new container of black paint that the hardware store had given away as samples. It was the perfect color, so I added some calcium carbonate and made chalk paint. It is wet in the photo below but has since dried to a lovely finish and I LOVE it. I hope to share soon...:)
Well my friends, I really ought to get to bed....it's after midnight! I've been working nonstop for 2 days now and am exhausted...but satisfied with the amount of work we have managed to accomplish. It rained ALL day Tuesday which threw us off schedule for one project, but it will just have to wait! I'm happy to report that I have a quick trip to the thrift store planned for today to look for something for the new room, and then I need to pick up things to cook for Thanksgiving as well as groceries for my house! The pantry is looking pretty skimpy, as is the fridge! But hey...who has time to grocery shop...lol! So excited my Randa will be home tonight and will be here through Sunday.
So blessed.....and thankful!
Oh...thank you all for the sweet comments you have been leaving! I am reading them, but just haven't had time to reply to all of them. Please forgive me...:)
In case I don't have time to post again before tomorrow.....
may each of you have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving surrounded by those you love most.
Until next time.....