Pages

Monday, March 20, 2017

Weekend Recap

Hello friends! Welcome back to Willie Mae Lane. I am so glad I have gotten back to blogging. I missed it so much but maybe the break was what I needed. Anywho, I just got home from my first day back to work after my spring break. It was a very good day...Mondays usually are though. I think attitude determines how your day will flow so I try to start each one with a positive attitude. Today I want to share my weekend with you.

Saturday began with my 8:00 AM workout. After that, I dashed home to shower and get ready to head to Gainesville. When I posted last, I mentioned that I was going to see Beauty and the Beast on Saturday with some of my family. I picked  up my sister Nancy and my Aunt Loretta and we headed to Gainesville to meet my daughter Miranda and my sister's girls, Shelby and Taylor. They all live there. 


We met at Square 1, which is a great place to eat. They have wonderful, unique burgers which is what I usually get, but this time I tried something different. I had the Aloha Chicken sandwich and sweet potato fries. The sandwich was a grilled ground chicken patty with applewood smoked bacon, grilled pineapple, and a terryaki & ginger sauce on it. Oh my was it delicious!


After lunch, we went to see Beauty and the Beast. I had pre-ordered our tickets because we didn't want to risk not getting them. The movie was outstanding! It is my favorite Disney movie of all time and I didn't think they could do anything to improve it, but they did. They added some parts that gave a little more history of both Belle and the Beasts lives. It was so very good and I will definitely purchase this one when it is released.


I picked up an order from Pier 1 while I was in Gainesville. I had to put my blinders on when I went in the store because they had all their spring decor out and oh my...everything was so gorgeous!


I loved this sweet place setting!


I went in for this though! I had mentioned here a couple months ago that I really wanted this tiered tray for my coffee cart but I thought it would be too big. Well, I decided I just had to have it so I ordered it online while there was a 15% off sale going on and just picked it up in the store. I do not regret my decision to purchase this piece. This piece is so versatile and can be used for many things over the years. 


I LOVE it! Galvanized and copper...does it get any better?



Here it is styled for spring.


After I got home Saturday evening, the hubby and I went to visit his mom and her boyfriend. She is doing very well with her treatments. She is finished with chemo and will finish radiation this week. She has tolerated the treatments so well. The only issue she had was a blood clot where her port was placed so they removed it. She hasn't lost her hair yet either and the doctors told her she probably won't at this point. She will have to wait three months for another scan to see if the treatments worked and I'm sure waiting won't be easy. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. They mean so much!

Sunday I piddled around the house finishing little projects, tweaking my decor and so on. I was itching to paint something else with the milk glass paint I purchased last week. This lamp was already painted white, but as you can see in the picture, it was quite dingy. The paint had a flat finish and dust was hard to get off. 


So, I sprayed it with the milk glass paint and it is so pretty now! It will be easier to clean now as well.


I added one of my old ladders to the end of the sofa to hold blankets. I am enjoying this addition to the living room. I also moved the tulips from the dining table to the coffee table. 


They look so pretty..... I wish I could keep fresh tulips here all the time!


I purchased this adorable frame at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago and printed a picture of the hubby and I to clip in it for now. This is an old picture but one of my favorites. 


I purchased this piece at Hobby Lobby after the movie on Saturday to put in the new tiered tray from Pier 1. I decided to paint it since it was the same color as the tray. 


So, I used the new jade paint I purchased at the same time as the milk glass paint. It looks so pretty. I also picked up the sweet little white egg at Hobby Lobby.


The hubby and I had an awful craving for some warm home baked cookies, so I whipped up a batch. I hardly ever bake anymore since we are eating healthier most of the time. Every now and then though, you have to have a really good treat.


I was craving chocolate chip cookies but had none on hand, so I improvised. I had some Wilton Candy Melts left over in the freezer from Christmas. I substituted the buttered toffee flavored ones for chocolate chips in my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. I also added chopped pecans to half the batch and oh my, were they delicious! I think they were better than chocolate chip!


We both love chewy cookies and these fit the bill! Here's the hubby's plate with his milk. I'm not a milk drinker! I still have some of the candy melts in the freezer as well as some salted caramel ones for when we get a craving again. 


I picked this little box up at Harbor Freight on Friday when the hubby and I went to town. I wanted it for an organization project in my craft room.


I have been picking up sequins in the Target Dollar Spot each season when they get new colors. The containers they come in will not stay together after you pull the tape off, so I thought these little boxes would be perfect to store them in.


Lots of room to grow! There are 24 boxes and I only filled 9 of them.


I labeled the box with my handy dandy label maker...still one of my favorite thrifting finds of all time!


I enjoyed my spring break so much. I didn't do much away from home, but it was nice to have the time off from the stress of work. Teaching is fun and rewarding in many ways, but we teachers have an incredible amount of stress on us too. So much is expected of us and our students and when you teach in a high poverty area like I do, the stress is even greater. I do love my job and am not complaining, but these breaks help me get through the year. This school year is fast coming to an end...I can't believe we only have about 10 weeks of school left!

Thank you so much for visiting. 
I hope you all have a lovely week.  I hope to keep posting on a fairly regular basis so I will see you again soon!

Until then.....

15 comments:

  1. What a nice weekend. I think the movie sounds wonderful, so far everyone loves it! I love your tiered tray. So cute for decorating and easy to move around and still keep things contained! Maybe that's what I need, one spot for decorating. Enjoy your last months of school. Tiger is loving Kindergarten so much and has learned so much this year. He will miss his teacher like your kinders miss you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I forgot, I made brownies this weekend with pecans. So good and I had to send some to Sara or I would eat the whole pan full. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had an amazing break and the weekend was no exception. I'm so happy you are blogging again, I really enjoy your posts. I loved the tiered tray and the copper bunny looks great on it. And I like the frame with the photo of you and your sweetie.

    Have a great week, Vicky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds as though you had a great Spring break! I love following you here and on Instagram... All the lovely goodies you found are just perfect! I absolutely love that frame!! I think I'll be swinging by our Hobby Lobby tomorrow. Thats right up my style alley! ;)
    Your cookies look and sound yummy!! I'm always baking around here, so new ideas are great!
    Enjoy your week back to work! Teachers are amazing and from all you write about, I'd wished you were my teacher!! Keep up the good work my friend!!

    Hugs to you,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new paint....I will have to check it out today while I am at Lowe's. I am on a mission to change out my lamps! We are planning to go see Beauty and The Beast this weekend. I love to see the remakes of the classic stories. So happy for you that you had a nice break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I can't wait to see Beauty and the Beast. I was worried it wouldn't live up to the original so I'm excited to hear it is just as good or better! I love your tray too...it's hard to walk into Pier One and not come out with a big bag of goodies! Love that store! I like your ladder in the living room. I see you still have Sadie's painting on your wall; now Rooster needs to be added. ;-)
    It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. Glad you are back!
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. How dare you make homemade cookies and not invite me over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol'ing at Miranda's comment!

    I had a feeling Beauty and the Beast was good and it sounds like it is! Thanks for the thoughtful review Vicky.

    Pier I is one of my fav stores for so many things, but especially table items like placemats. It sense their selection is so much better than every other place.

    I'm glad you're back blogging. Sounds like you missed it but you're right...sometimes a break is needed.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, what loveliness to behold at Pier 1! I would have had to put blinders on as well {{smiles}}

    What a delight to catch up with you, sweet Vicky! Thinking of you and wishing you a beautiful week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your week was so relaxing it relaxed me! LOL I'm glad you had that time to get away from work for a bit and recharge yourself :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you get out and have fun with the women in your family. Girls just want to fan! The tiered tray that you purchased is lovely and I can see it being used in many ways, especially for serving sweet treats at barbecues and on holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your little tray is so cute.

    I guess I need to see Beauty and the Beast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tiered tray is great, really one of a kind, and beautifully styled for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see why you wanted that tray. I like the copper and galvanized together. The milk paint on the lamp looks great. I may have to try that out sometime. So many good things in this post. I am glad you enjoyed your break...you are almost there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a fun week. Love your Pier 1 tray-so pretty and love how you decked it out. We are going to see Beauty and the Beast this weekend-can't wait. Tulips year round would be such a treat. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking time to leave such kind words for me. Your sweet comments make my heart smile!
I always reply to comments by e-mail, so please make sure you are not a no-reply commenter! Blessings!

Recent Posts.....