Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Catching Up & Porch Progress

Hello friends! 
Once again, it has been weeks since I put up a post. I keep trying to find time to fit in a weekly post but it just hasn't happened...yet! I plan to keep trying...lol! In my defense, life has been even busier than normal around here. Let's catch up a bit shall we? 
When I last posted, we were in the process of building our new porch. While it is not finished, we are able to use it now. I'll share more later in this post. Here in Florida, we have been having absolutely gorgeous weather. Temperatures have been averaging in the seventies, which is my favorite. It definitely feels like spring and I have been enjoying being outdoors. The azaleas think it's already spring too. They have been so pretty.


I have been doing a little shopping. I purchased this quote picture at Hobby Lobby for my master bedroom redo which is next on the home improvement list. It will be a while still before we totally finish the porch and skirting around the porch and our home.


I have been looking for porch furniture and love this set from Wal Mart. I have found several sets I love, but I don't love the price tag, so I am making do with what I have for now and am hoping to find a good sale or clearance at the end of summer if not before. 


I've been spending some time in my happy place each week. I cleaned off the desk top and rearranged a little. I also completed my Project Life scrapbook pages for January and will be starting February soon. I plan to share what I am doing in a blog post sometime soon.


I've been eating healthier most of the time and continue to work out with my trainer 2-3 days a week. Sometimes life gets in the way, but I love working out and will not be giving it up. I have been going to a chiropractor every Friday for neck and back adjustments as well as some other issues. I am pleased with my progress so far. I have also been reading a LOT! I have a rekindled passion for reading. I always read a few books each year, but this year, I can't get enough. I especially enjoy sitting on the porch and reading. I feel that reading is good for my mental health...I enjoy it so much.


I helped celebrate my beautiful friend, Heather's birthday. Many of you have prayed for her along with me. She is over 3 years now in her battle against cancer and while it has never went away totally, they have been able to do surgeries and chemo to keep it from progressing too fast. My friend Jeana made her beautiful cake. She's baked all of the cakes you have seen on my blog over the years. 


I celebrated Valentine's Day with the kinders and they lavished me with sweet gifts. :) Speaking of kindergarten, I have been staying at work late on my workout days and prepping for the next week which has been working out so well. I love walking in Monday morning and having everything ready to go!


Now...let me share a few photos of the porch progress and fill you in on what we still plan to do. Here is a shot from the end. It is 10' X 32' and I LOVE it! We still have to build the steps and decide what kind of handrails we want. We will also be screening in the left side to keep bugs and other Florida creepie crawlies out as well as to keep the dogs from laying on the cushions of the furniture we plan to buy eventually. The screened in part will have  furniture similar the the set I shared above, as well as a table and chairs. 


We are building really wide steps so I can put flower pots on the sides. We are eventually going to do a stain/paint combination but that will be later on. We will be hiding the block foundation with skirting which will go all around the porch and house. I plan to landscape a little after the skirting is complete. We are also hoping to lay sod this spring. So much to do!


For now, I am using these two chairs that I used to have in the house but have been living in the shed for a while. I am also using a rug I already had as well as the little blue table which I have had for a few years. I want to decorate the ladder with flower pots and garden themed items soon. I hope to replace these chairs with rocking chairs eventually.


We purchased the two Adirondack style chairs from Lowe's a few weeks ago just to have something to sit on before we finished roofing it. Eventually they will be replaced with a glider swing/love seat. 


This is the end that will be screened in in the future. For now, I have my little ice cream parlor table and chairs I have had for a few years. Getting this our of my dining room opened it up quite a bit too. 


I just bought this beautiful birdhouse at Cracker Barrel yesterday. I plan to hang it as soon as I get a pretty hook.


I love the detail the hubby put at the top. It looks great and was a great use of the scrap pieces of 
4" X 4".


I'm not the only one who enjoys the new porch...Sadie and Rooster thinks it is all theirs. 


Sorry about the long post but I wanted to catch up with you all. I shared in my last post that my mother-in-law does indeed have cancer. She is currently going through radiation every weekday and chemo on Fridays. This is for 6 weeks. She is doing remarkably well so far but is beginning to tire more easily as well as having a sore (burned) throat from the radiation. She is in good spirits though. We spent the day with her and her boyfriend yesterday and had a beautiful day. Miranda is on her way for a visit with Bell as I type this and we are going to sit on the porch and have paninis and chips for lunch. Mama is coming to visit as well. So, I better get up and get busy! I so enjoyed catching up with you all and if you read to the end, thank you. 
Have a beautiful week my friends.

Until next time.....

10 comments:

  1. Your porch is awesome. If you can make it through this summer, the prices will be way lower at the end of the summer for sets. Experience there:)
    The weather has been beautiful this February ....just hope that doesn't mean a cold March or hurricanes this summer. Bah humbug for me with those thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your dear friend Heather! Love your beautiful porch update Vicky. You guys have put in a lot of work and it looks like it's paying off! How wonderful to have all of that extra space, especially the screened in part. Outdoor without the bugs!! Being in at least 1/2 a foot of snow right now I am glad to say we are bug free outside...lol. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, my friend! You have indeed been busy! Love the porch! Oh my, it's perfect! You will really enjoy it, I know! There's always lots to do, isn't there? I always tell people it keeps me out of trouble, ha.
    Our weather has been the same...we really didn't have winter this year. So strange but I love the 70-80 degree days! Cutest sign ever for a master bedroom. Awww!!
    Cancer is such an ugly disease. It's good to see a picture of your sweet friend and I'm sorry to hear you mil definitely has it but they both sound like fighters. I will continue to pray for them!
    Many hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to catch up Vicky! Your friend and mil are fighters, and my thoughts are with them both to beat the horrible disease that is cancer.

    We are in Venice now, soon to leave for Ft. Pierce. You're right about the weather this year!

    Having a porch is really going to be a godsend! I know you will enjoy it.

    I hear you about time skipping away. I'm taking a break because there is no wifi where we are and uploading pics on our hotspot takes up too much data and time, but maybe the next place will be better.

    Stay well!

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is busy and sounds so good my friend. I love your porch. It is one thing I really miss at the place I live. Enjoy all that is good and much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your porch is wonderful, you are going to enjoy it more than you can even imagine. Just like your re-birth of loving to read . . . it's more fun on the porch in the fresh air. I'm delighted to see that you are posting again.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That porch looks great! It'll be so nice once it's screened in and you have all your pretty decorations and furniture in place!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the porch Vicky! You never know how much you will miss one till you no longer have it. I am praying to get a porch or patio in the next few years. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely LOVE your porch!! I'm sure it will be used often. I love the furniture set you are looking at. Have you looked online? They might have better deals.

    I love the sign. That will be perfect for your room. And that bird house is so cheery! Love it!

    Enjoy your week Vicky!

    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your porch is looking so good....how exciting! We are anxiously awaiting Spring here, but may have snow this week. Oh, to be in sunny Florida!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking time to leave such kind words for me. Your sweet comments make my heart smile!
I always reply to comments by e-mail, so please make sure you are not a no-reply commenter! Blessings!

Recent Posts.....